Method 1 Writing a Letter to Someone in Jail
- Visit the jail website.
- Look up the inmate’s booking number.
- Address the envelope.
- Include your name and return address.
- Make sure not to send confidential information.
- Avoid sending prohibited items.
- Mail your envelope.
- Send an email.
To Use the Inmate Lookup System to Send Money
- Go to www.nyc.gov/doc.
- On the right, find the Inmate Lookup box.
- Click Look Up Inmate.
- Enter the inmate’s NYSID or Book and Case Number.
- On the page for the inmate, click the Send Money button.
- This brings up an instruction page.
- Return Address. Your name and return address must appear on the upper left-hand corner of the envelope to ensure that the funds can be returned in the event that they cannot be posted to the inmate’s account.
- Delivery Address. Send the funds to the address above.
If you are sending mail to an inmate in Rikers Island correctional facility: 1) You must print the inmates FULL NAME and BOOKING or CASE NUMBER along with a return address in the top left hand corner of the envelope.Sending Mail To Inmates
- We Open All Mail. In the interests of safety and security, we open and check all mail.
- Address Mail Properly. To address mail to an Orange County inmate, please include their full name, booking number, and cell as shown in the Current Inmate Database.
- Follow These Rules.
- No Hard Cover Books.
- US Postal Service Only.
- All inmate mail must contain the sender’s full name and complete return address, the inmate’s full name (the name he/she is booked into jail under), the inmate’s SPN, the inmate’s housing facility and cell block location.
- All inmate mail is inspected upon receipt by the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.
Can I send a care package to an inmate?
How To Send An Inmate A Care Package. Because of security concerns in jails and prisons it is no longer possible for friends and family to send care packages directly to inmates. Loved ones can contact these care package providers to send a gift to an inmate.
How long does it take for an inmate to receive mail?
It usually takes 2-3 days to get his letters. In Duluth they are really good with the mail. My dude is 2.5 hours from me and the facility gets his mail in two business days but when he actually receives them is another story. It seems it can be anywhere from the day they receive to 4 days after they receive it.
Can I send stamps to an inmate?
Prisoners writing letters
Each week a prisoner is allowed to send one free letter. If they want to send more than this then they need to purchase stamps and envelopes from the prison shop/canteen. Alternatively you can post self addressed stamped envelopes to the prisoner so they can post letters back to you.